Shakshuka or as my kids now say Shaka Shaka, which I think I prefer!
What fun and simply delicious. This meal is loaded with tasty nutritional goodness.
What you need:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 leek, white part only, washed well and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- Pinch or chilli powder or paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin or cumin seeds
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 800g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 250g frozen peas
- 1 large handful of baby English spinach
- 4 large free range eggs
- Mint leaves to garnish
What to do:
1. First heat olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat.
2. Add the leek, garlic, capsicum, spices and bay leaves and cook, stirring often, for 5 mins, or until the capsicum is softened and the spices are nicely fragrant.
3. Next, stir in the tomatoes and the peas, then bring everything to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat to low, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook for 5 mins, or until the peas are nearly done. Stir in the spinach.
5. Make 4 divots in the sauce and crack an egg into each one. Cover and leave for about 3-5 mins, or until eggs are cooked to your liking; the yolks should still be soft. Serve straight from the fry pan, garnished with mint leaves.
Mom | Certified Health & Nutrition Coach
Through a moms eyes I speak about the high’s,
the lows, the hope and despair that comes with
being an Olympic athlete, how these have shaped
my journey to health, the love I have for food again,
the products I enjoy, what drives me and my
passion to help YOU.
from my home to yours